Monday, June 1, 2015

Booking your Vacations

For those who do not know me I work in the hospitality industry and have done it for well over 10 years now. I really love what I do or I would not be doing it. There is just the enjoyment of making people happy and also the chance of training and developing my staff. Now, one of the hardest parts of working in the hospitality industry is dealing with rude and stupid people and also the people that feel that they are entitled to everything. This does not happen on a daily basis but it does happen weekly. I get to meet and talk to some of the most amazing and nicest people every day but then there are the times that I get to deal with someone that is very rude and takes the "customer is always right" motto to a whole another level. During this time of year one of the most frustrating things that I deal with are people who do not research their vacation or travel plans.

When it comes to booking a hotel reservation for your vacation don't you want to reach the place and the surrounding areas a little bit. Lately I have been looking into taking a vacation to Cancun, Mexico sometime this summer and I have been looking at many different flights, hotels,using google, and google maps to find the best deals but also a place that has everything that I might be looking for. I have my note pad that I use to write down the places that I need to look more into and places that are a no go right off the bat. On top of the page I have the most important things that I am looking for in a hotel while I am on vacation; internet as it would be nice to have it complimentary as I plan on checking emails, writing, and reading, close to the beach, close to some night life as I am going to be on vacation but also in case if I feel like going out, and it would be nice to have at least breakfast included. So, by having some guidelines I know what places I can cross off my list and others to take a deeper look into.

As I have been looking into places I use Google and Google maps to help determine the distance to the beach and what might be close by. Then I pull up the hotels website to see what they are offering in terms of a shuttle, restaurants, internet, pool, and whatever else I might be interested in. If their website does not fully explain their shuttle service then I know I need to call and ask about that at least. But, I am doing my research first before I call them that way I know that they will answer my most important questions that I have. Also, I would not be frustrating the staff by asking questions that can be found on their website. If I have to google and look up their phone number can't I also check real quick to see if they offer a shuttle to and from the airport. I mean that only makes sense to me.

That is one of thing that gets me when I answer the phone at work. I get all these questions about things that are listed on our website. I mean you had to look up the phone number why is it so difficult to click on the tab that explains everything the hotel has to offer. I got a call for a person about a week ago asking if we had a pool on site. I stated that we do not have a pool but there is a water park less than a mile away. The lady on the phone then states oh I thought you had a pool did you get rid of the pool? I explained that the hotel has never had a pool but there is a hotel close to us that does. She insisted that we have a pool and that I was lying. Then she asks if we have a shuttle to the airport. I explained that we do not but one to and from the closest metro station to the hotel. The next question that the lady had was about parking, did we have parking at the hotel and how much is it. I stated that we do have parking and that it is complimentary. That was the only answer that she was happy with. As I asked her what was it that she was looking for and if she had looked at our website before she made her reservation which was an advance purchase and non refundable. She said no she did not look at our website to double check these things. I really wanted to say to her 'why in the hell would you book a hotel reservation and not get any information before you did so?' All this does is get the person upset that they are not going to get the amenities that they want and they tend to be rude to the staff once they check in. I am sorry to say that it is not the staffs fault any where you stay that they cannot offer you want you want if the hotel does not offer it.

I was yelled at by another guests because I did not have a room that had two beds in the room with a pull out sleeper sofa. I am sorry but I did not design the rooms or sell you a room that I do not have. He stated that since I do not have want he needs and wants that I needed to give him a second room for free to make up for it. I was very nice to him, but I could not honor that request well to be honest his demand of a few room. But, again another sign that people do not research before they book.

For all of you travelers out there just a little advice, please look into and research your vacations a little more. Pull up the hotels website see what they offer and do not offer. And lastly do not take it out on the staff that works there. They were not the bonehead that booked the reservation for you. It only takes a few extra minutes to pull up the hotel facts page. So, if you want to be happy then you better put the time and effort in to making your vacation a happy vacation.

Do you have any stories that you would like to share? If so please leave all your comments on the Facebook page RollinwRenkadink.

No comments:

Post a Comment